Are Your Insurance Licenses and Continuing Education Requirements Up to Date?

professional woman working on computer
Mary Sizemore
Mary Sizemore January 12, 2024

With over 25 years of experience, Mary shares her industry knowledge by helping agents and their clients navigate various insurance products. She also stays up to date on current products and trends to support, mentor, and guide her teammates.

January is a great time to review your state insurance licenses and education requirements and set important reminders for when licenses renew and education is due throughout the year. If you have an expired license or don’t have the proper training, you could be jeopardizing your client’s insurance application or delaying your compensation.

Where to Start

The National Insurance Producer Registry provides streamlined licensing data and compliance information for insurance professionals. NIPR makes it easy for you to:

  • Review your state requirements
  • Apply for a new license or line of authority
  • Renew an existing license
  • Review Continuing Education (CE) requirements
  • Print your license
  • So much more!

Check Your Continuing Education through Sircon or State-Based Systems

Use Sircon for the following states: AZ, CA, CO, GA, IN, MD, MN, MS, NV, NJ, NC, PA, SD, TX, UT, VA, WV, and WY.

Use State-Based Systems for the following states: AL, AK, AR, CT, DE, DC, HI, ID, IL, IA, KS, MA, MO, MT, NE, NH, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SC, TN, VT, and WI.

For all other states, visit your resident state’s Division of Insurance (DOI) website.

Special Education


Many states require special education to sell long-term care insurance. This usually requires eight hours of LTCI training and an additional four hours every two years thereafter. This varies by state, and we recommend verifying any special training before purchasing it. Some carriers also require that your training is completed through a Clear-Cert verified vendor. WebCE, for example, meets this requirement.


Medicare certification (AHIP or equivalent) and some additional carrier requirements are required to write most Medicare products. You must also be contracted and approved with a carrier before writing Medicare business. Once your state insurance license has been verified and your Continuing Education is up to date, you can apply for a licensing appointment with specific carriers.


RegEd provides detailed information on a state-by-state basis for annuity requirements. Click here for more information.

Carriers Available through The Krause Agency

Long-Term Care Insurance

  • AFE/USA Chubb (Hybrid) (Group or Individual)
  • Brighthouse (Hybrid)
  • Equi-Trust (Hybrid)
  • ForeThought (Hybrid)
  • John Hancock Life (Hybrid) (Group)
  • LifeSecure (Group)
  • Lincoln (Hybrid)
  • Mutual of Omaha (Traditional)
  • National Guardian Life (Traditional) (Group or Individual)
  • Nationwide (Hybrid)
  • OneAmerica (Hybrid)
  • ReFrame (Hybrid) (Group)
  • Securian (Hybrid)
  • Thrivent (Traditional) (Hybrid)
  • TrustMark (Hybrid) (Group)

Short-Term Care Insurance

  • Aetna
  • GTL
  • Manhattan Life

Medicare and Other Supplemental Products

  • Ace
  • Aetna
  • Aflac
  • Allstate
  • American Benefit Life
  • Anthem
  • BCBS of Minnesota
  • Capitol Life
  • Cigna
  • Humana
  • Lumico Life
  • Manhattan Life
  • Medica
  • Mutual of Omaha
  • Physician’s Mutual
  • UCare
  • United American
  • UnitedHealthcare
  • Wellcare

Medicaid Compliant Annuities

  • ELCO Mutual
  • Unity Financial
  • Nationwide
  • The Standard
  • Croatian Financial

We offer competitive commissions with all the carriers under our umbrella. Get contracted with us to start selling today!

Not sure where to begin? Schedule a call with one of our in-house advisors.